January 11, 2023
'The Neuse Juice'
Volume 50 Number 1
Click on our Sponsors! -->
Please support our sponsors!
Click on the circles to the right to view them all!
NSA "TIME TO CELEBRATE
the 50 YEAR ANNIVERSARY"
Our club would not have been in existence for 50 years if we had not had an active membership through our all these years! So please continue to be involved by volunteering to help at events, cruises ( always need Cruise Captains ) and answering the call for “ help” when requested. If you have any suggestions, questions, or concerns about NSA, please share them with us.
The 2023 cruise and events dates are posted on our website so that you can plan vacation time to join in on NSA activities.
We want to hear about your cruises so please send the Vice Commodores of Communications Jean and Erik Hardtle information and photos, so they can post the pictures on the website about your adventures and for fun show your NSA burgee.
Let’s make 2023 a great year for making great NSA memories and Celebrate 50 years as the
I am always available if you have questions, concerns or something nice to say!!
Did you know that February has an “R” in it? That means OYSTERS are in season and NSA is having its 2023 Annual Oyster Roast! As in the past members get in free and can bring up to 2 guests per family at a cost of $10/guest. Members receive 2 drink tickets/person and guests pay cash for their drinks.
We are doing registration via the NORMAL Registration on the Event List. If you want to attend, you must register here.
Make sure to add the name of your other paid member (if you have one) to the registration form.
Members are requested to bring a side dish or dessert. Here are the details.
WHAT: NSA Annual Oyster Roast
WHEN: Saturda, February 18, 2-4PM
WHERE: The Red Rooster
(behind the Silos Restaurant)
WHO: NSA Members and Guests
WHY: Eat Drink and be Merry
Now, this much fun cannot be had without a little elbow grease.
VOLUNTEERS ARE NEEDED!!!
Set-up, Registration, Tear-down and cleanup
If you can help, Please contact
PS: SAVE THE DATE --->>>> SHRIMPEROO MARCH 25 at Oriental Marina and Inn
Get ready now for a fun and adventurous cruising season! Erik has done a terrific job of getting all our events on the calendar already so everyone can prioritize our events on their personal calendars. As you can see, we mixed up traveling to some places we haven’t visited in quite a while with some of our favorites places. We have lots of new places to explore and suggested changes that we hope will encourage everyone to participate in organizing and enjoying our cruises. These are general ideas that will be solidified based on the agreement of each individual set of cruise captains.
1. We will have two boats share the job of cruise captains. We hope to mix one “practiced” member and one “beginner” member so we can create a mentoring situation, get to know each other better and share the workload. We will have a general meeting of all those interested/willing to participate as cruise captains to share ideas and provide information. Be on the lookout in the February newsletter for the date. Please look at the schedule and pick a date that you would be interested in participating as a cruise captain and let us know as soon as possible.
2. We suggest we no longer provide paper/plastics on cruises. As good stewards of our waterways, this will decrease the amount of trash we produce on our cruises. Instead, each boat will be expected to bring their own plates, utensils, napkins, and cups. We will all take out what we bring in, just like in the larger cruising community.
3. We have members who like to anchor out and others who like to stay at marinas. Some prefer to be close to the “action” and others prefer more solitary marinas. Our club has gotten so large that it’s often difficult to find a single marina that can accommodate all our boats. As a result, for most cruise locations, we will provide a list of anchorages and marinas in the area as well as the location of set socials and members can decide for themselves where they would like to make reservations or anchor.
4. For socials held on beaches/parks, we will share the load of transporting alcohol to the beach. How we do this will be determined by cruise captain teams.
5. We plan to provide more information to members who may be experiencing a location for the first time with route suggestions, things to look out for, and things to do in various locations.
We will stay in contact through the newsletter, the NSA website, and our Facebook page. Facebook and Messenger make it easy to connect with participating members during a cruise to quickly inform of changes and let people know what they’re up to so please consider joining and friending us.
Let’s work together and make the 2023 cruising season fantastic! We look forward to seeing you on the water!
Tracy Vail & Robert Pugh
Are you interested in a spring cruise to the Chesapeake?
We’re gauging interest in going back this year. The probable departure date is April 22nd. We would travel together as a group to Portsmouth, VA (about 5 days) with free cruising afterward to wherever and for as long as you like. It’s prime snowbird return season, so we’ll do group bookings at marinas early. Contact cruise captains John Messer or Pat Thomaier with any questions. If you’re interested, email Pat (email@example.com ) and indicate whether you’re:
Whichever you are, please subscribe to the forum for updates.
Chesapeake Cruise Forum -> Click Here
This month I will be ordering NSA tee-shirts with our new 50th anniversary logo. These will be available in men’s/unisex and women’s sizes. A big shout out and thank you to Erik Hardtle for the logo for this special order!
As it is hard to know what sizes to order, please send me a text at (615) 828-8621 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, whether men’s or women’s shirt and the size you would like.
This will guarantee you a shirt in your size.
To pre-order size, please respond to me by Friday, January 13st. ...THIS FRIDAY!
If you haven’t joined our Facebook group, please do so! Be sure to answer all the membership questions or Facebook will automatically deny your request to join. This is a closed group for our members only.
Happy New Year as we celebrate our club’s 50 years of sailing!
Vice Commodore - Social Media & NSA Wear Coord.S/V Cool Change
My goal is to keep the newsletter on the second Tuesday schedule going forward. So I will need your input by Monday, of the preceding week. Please send your stories and photos to email@example.com, and add "Neuse Juice" in the subject line.
Vice Commodore - Neuse Juice
S/V Knot Shore
1974 Gulfstar 44
The start of the new year is a good time to make sure your NSA info is up to date in your profile. It’s super easy, just click on your name in the upper right after logging in, and click the “edit profile” button. If you’ve forgotten your password, just go to the NSA website (www.neusesailingassociation.org), click on the “Log in” link and click on the “Forgot password” link to reset your password.
Finally, if there are any errors, mistakes or updates needed on the website, be sure to let me know, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org .
I feel very privileged (after being volunteered by my wife) to have been able to design the 50th year logo... Thanks!
And finally... if you read this far... you are awesome!
Vice Commodore -Website
S/V Knot Shore
1974 Gulfstar 44
Neuse Sailing Association | PO Box 253 | Oriental, NC 28571